Latest update: Feb.1, 2020
- We will comply with all applicable laws and regulations concerning privacy protection in handling your personal information.
- We will not use your personal information beyond the scope of the purpose of use that we have previously specified, unless you give your prior consent.
- We will maintain appropriate safeguards to protect your personal information from improper disclosure or modification and from unauthorized access.
- We will assign responsibility for protection of personal information and development of our internal systems to a designated officer in order to help ensure appropriate management of personal information.
- We will respond appropriately to requests from our users for disclosure, correction, addition, deletion or suspension of use of their personal information.
Handling of personal data
1. Scope of Application
The Japan Times Publishing Corporate Site（https://jtpublishing.co.jp/)
The Japan Times Book Club（https://bookclub.japantimes.co.jp)
The Japan Times Alpha Online（https://alpha.japantimes.co.jp/)
2. Appropriate Collection
- We will comply with all applicable laws and regulations concerning privacy protection in collecting your personal information.
- The personal information we collect may include your full name, e-mail address, gender, year of birth, domicile or residence, occupation, telephone number, proficiency of English (including grades or scores of English qualification exams, such as Eiken and TOEIC), and/or subscription status of The Japan Times Alpha.
3. Purpose of Use
- Personal information we collect may be used for the following purposes:
- Providing services on the Website (hereinafter called the “Online Services”) to customers and conducting related operations, including checking customer data against the subscription list
- Responses to customer inquiries and complaints
- Efforts to design and develop the Service according to the interests of users, including through sending questionnaires to users (no personal information collected thereby will be disclosed to any third parties)
- Efforts to provide information on goods or services of our company, our content providers, or our advertisers, including sending questionnaires to customers (no personal information collected thereby will be disclosed to any third parties )
- Notifications to contest winners
- Delivery of e-mail newsletters (applicants only)
- Before using personal information for any purpose other than those listed above, we will notify you to request your consent.
4. Providing Information to Third Parties
- We will not provide your personal information to any third party without your advance consent, except where such disclosure:
- Is in accordance with or required by applicable law (including laws and regulations relating to privacy protection)
- Is necessary for the protection of the safety or property of our users or the public, and it is difficult or impractical to obtain the consent of the individual
- Is necessary for public health or education and it is difficult or impractical to obtain the consent of the individual
- Is made in cooperation with national or local authorities, or an individual or entity appointed by such authorities to enforce the law or carry out legal process, and in which seeking the consent of the individual could affect such enforcement or legal process
- Is made pursuant to a merger, acquisition or other business combination.
- We may disclose aggregate information regarding users (not including personally identifiable information) to third parties that we believe to be reputable. Please also see “About Cookies” below.
- If we entrust an individual or entity with the handling of any personal information, we will exercise necessary and appropriate supervision over such individual or entity to ensure the security of such personal information
- We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If a child under 13 has provided us with personal information without parental or guardian consent, the parent or guardian may request us to remove such information from our database and cease promotional contacts with the child.
- Please see “Contact for Inquiries and Complaints about the Handling of Personal Information” .
6. About “Cookies”
- This Website uses “cookies”— small files that the web browsers store on the hard disk of your computer — to manage access to and use of our site, recognize your preferences and to facilitate effective site administration. We will use such data to increase visitors to our sites and to provide information better suited to users’ needs.
- We use third party companies such as Google to help collect users’ browsing data and analyze how users use our site for efficient delivery of advertisements, or for other purposes. These companies only collect certain non-personal information about our website users. You may opt out of their use by modifying the configuration of your web browser.
- We have appointed a Privacy Officer, and endeavor to safeguard the privacy of our users and ensure compliance with the requirements of applicable laws relating to privacy protection.
- We instruct our management and employees concerning legal requirements and company regulations related to privacy protection as part of our continuing efforts to manage personal information appropriately.
8. Disclosure, Addition, Correction, Deletion
- When we are requested by a user to disclose his/her personal information, we will disclose such information as soon as practicable, unless such disclosure would be in violation of law.
- When we are requested by a user to correct, add to, or delete his/her personal information on the basis that such information is inaccurate, we will review the facts relating to such request without delay and will correct, add to, or delete the information on the basis of such review.
- Please contact us via this online form（https://jtpublishing.co.jp/en/contact/privacy-policy/) to make such a request.
9. Suspension of Use
- When we are requested by a user to stop using his/her personal information on the basis that such information was collected improperly or is being used for purposes other than those specified without his/her consent, we will review the facts relating to such request without delay. If we find a valid reason for such request, we will cease use of such personal information.
- b) Please contact us via this online form（https://jtpublishing.co.jp/en/contact/privacy-policy/）to make such a request.
10. Inquiries and Complaints
- We have established an office in order to receive and respond to any inquiries and complaints concerning our handling of personal information appropriately and efficiently. Please contact us at the following:
Via online form:
The Japan Times Publishing, Ltd.
2F Ichibancho Daini Bldg., 2-2 Ichibancho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 102-0082